Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Shrine for Frida.............Finnabair Creative Team

Using a "cutsie" doll's face to represent one of the strongest and most iconic of women seems almost sacrilege, and I apologise if this offends. I really did just want to portray the strength and beauty of this amazing woman. Perhaps the face is a little more Salma Hayek,who plays Frida in the movie, than the real Frida.


It was challenging to take a silicone doll's head and paint it, and I have nothing but respect for those artists who work in this field.

The other thing that I was inspired by for this project was an amazing wall of beautiful tiles I saw in a Mexican restaurant in Byron Bay. I had a go at making tiles out of chipboard, collaging them with tissue, cutting them into 1cm. squares and then coating them with glossy accents.
Wall tiles in restaurant.


The other side was coated with art extravagance White Texture Paste and coloured with Distress Stain.

Metal, resin and lace embellishments all coloured with Mica Powder. Micro Beads, Glass Glitter and Mica Flakes added for shine and texture. A more detailed tutorial is HERE on Finnabair's blog,
 along with a full list of ingredients used.


If you do not know the story of Frida Kahlo, watch the movie, it's wonderful.
Thanks for visiting today.

"Feet what do I need you for when I 
have wings to fly?" Frida Kahlo

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Oh my... This is exquisite! So very creative,, her face is so beautiful, love the colours.. And I do not know the story behind this lady but in my opinion you have created an elegant and beautiful tribute to her..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab, fab,fab! This is so adorable Gayle xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute! An amazing and creative idea to decorate that dolls head....bravo for always trying new things....I love how you channeled your inspiration, beautifully done xo

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving your comment....always read and much appreciated.